Thursday, January 20, 2011

Song of the day 1/20/11

The Wedding Present - My Favorite Dress



Over Christmas my wife and I went to visit my parents in the north west of England. Spiteful weather conditions and lazy airline incompetence stretched the time of the Seattle to Manchester journey from the expected 19 to 48 panic-stricken hours. For some reason I made this song alone my soundtrack, I listened to podcasts, audiobooks and standup and every so often broke off to listen to this song.

It’s a fairly typical Wedding Present song: it has bitter lyrics that are as close to being spoken as they are sung and it closes by exploring all aspects of a very repetitive riff (see also Take Me! Off Bizzaro which does this trick for ages and becomes hypnotic). The thing that really made me keep playing it over and over to distract myself from my horrible reality is that the chord change into the chorus. It sounds huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment