Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Song of the Day, 5/15/2011, Part 2

It'd be pretty sad if I didn't come back and post a part 2, wouldn't it?

The new David Bazan record came out yesterday. When I was a teenager I went to a few Pedro the Lion shows, and I always thought they were weird and kind of horrible - one in particular (Pedro the Lion, Ida, and the Juxtapositions - I think) the entire crowd turned over between sets. The friendly indie rock kids rolled out, and the Christian Youth of the year 2000 rolled in.

I found this to be incredibly creepy, and it made me feel really weird and dirty about listening to Pedro. And liking it. I thought they were a Christian rock band, and they weren't for me.



Years later, I read a real article on David Bazan and his relationship with religion. And I sat down and actually listened to his lyrics. It turns out, I didn't get it. And neither did the armies of Christian kids that were creeping me out at those shows.


Bazan's new record sounds good. It sounds REALLY good. I highly suggest hitting up the audio page on his website and listening to the first track featured there - Wolves at the Door. It's been my jam of the last 48 hours.

Then skip 'Bless This Mess', which doesn't work for some reason.

And listen to Please, Baby, Please, which is another fantastic track.


And sit. Be cynical. But love. Understand love. Understand everything I didn't when I was 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment