Sunday, March 6, 2011

Song of the Day, 3/6/11

I mean, like, damn people. I am hung over. Last night was one of the most awesome, but stranger nights of my life. See I play one of the most unpopular yet somehow desperately necessary instruments in Seattle's musical landscape - the viola - and somehow, last night, that meant that I got to play Vendetta Red's sold out balls crazy emo kids crying reunion show last night.

And let me tell you, nothing makes you want to drink like the surrealism of being thrown into an event like that. Because again, my bag is playing the *viola*.



My plan for today's song of the day was to post Yelle's new video, but as I sat down and listened to it again, I can't say I really like it all that much. It doesn't exactly make the cut.

So what you're going to get is a short analysis of why I don't like it that much. And it starts here:



I know I have some obsessions that put me in to the realm of dirty hipster stereotype, and one of them, is French New Wave Cinema. Another one, is Serge Gainsbourg and late 60s French Pop music.

One of my favorite films is Godard's Masculin Femininin, and one of my favorite songs is this one from the trailer. It ended up being an unholy hard track to find - I ended up pirating a version from some pre-1999 weird archive type website, the metadata indicates it's from a compilation called 'Les Annees 60' - which the last time I looked - I wasn't able to find a copy of anywhere on the internet.

For the record, the song is called 'Tu ma'as trop menti' and recorded by Chantal Goya (the star of the film) - who disappointingly, instead pursued a career as a children's singer.


Anyways, I love films and the music, but they're another one of those genres where I missed the moment. I can buy all the boat neck sweaters in the world, but none of them will transport me to Paris in 1968.



Now we get to Yelle. I think I connected heavily with Yelle because her music is really the twee-electropop sound I've been enjoying deeply for the last few years (CSS, etc) but with a layer of French pop ye-ye girl on top of it.

I don't really hear either in her new single. The electric sounds are deeper, maybe more trance? And her vocals aren't nearly as flirty. Oh well.

Her last couple of albums were still really good, and you'll probably dig 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment