Thursday, March 31, 2011

Song of the day 3/31/2011

Hello children,

Obsessed pattern-spotters will have notice that I write Song of the Day for Thursdays, further they’ll have noticed that I haven’t done it for the last two weeks. To explain: the first week was deliberate so I didn’t interrupt the flow of SxSW updates with a post about some band from the 90s and I spent all of last week fully occupied with the “typing that I do for money”.

So, The Supersuckers. About fifteen years ago, there would run on late night television a rock TV show, I didn’t have MTV, this was my access to an hour a week of \m/RAWK\m/. Many of the videos on this show were no good: Poison, some dull grunge band that sounded like The Stone Temple Pilots, a German version of Poison etc. but there was the occasional gem, this was how I first heard Born With a Tail by The Supersuckers (and that was the video I was going to post – but having just re-watched it, I’ve decided it’s dodgy). Over the next few years I tracked down their records, during college I used “The Sacrilicious Sound of The Supersuckers” and “The Evil Powers of Rock and Roll” as the soundtrack to kick off a weekend, I remember finally being done with first year quantum mechanics and listening to their country record (Must’ve Been High), in my last year I learned enough of the C programing language to do some damage while listening to “The Smoke Of Hell” on repeat. They were an important band for me. Shortly after graduating and completely unexpectedly I found myself living in Seattle. Seattle! Where the fucking Supersuckers are! I would probably get to see them!

I did. They opened with this:

The Supersuckers – Heavy Heart (You Am I cover)

I still love the line “I miss you like sleep”.

Sadly, their last handful of records have been less inspiring and seeing Eddie Spaghetti’s solo show a few months ago was very disappointing: the OTT RAWK star charm didn’t work so well with just an acoustic guitar and the songs seemed crass and childish.

But when they were on form – they were unbeatable. I’m going to listen to How To Maximize Your Kill Count and pretend time can be stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment