Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Song of the Day, 3/28/11

Okay, so technically the track I've had on repeat all day is This Island - but I couldn't really resist this clip from the Le Tigre movie that's coming out soon - Who Took the Bomp!

I saw it at SxSW - it's pretty perfect. It made me want to start rad feminist bands, made most of the theater cry! YEAH! LET'S START RAD FEMINIST BANDS!



One of the recurring themes in the film is the fear of erasure - the fear that their art, their music, their message, will be erased or covered up. That thought is what made a majority of the women in the theater start bawling, I think. Here is this band, that inspired tons of girls of my generation to go make good art, to be rad feminists, and - and - taught us that feminism, art, rock, all of the things we love can live on long after we're kids - and their greatest fear is that no one will remember them for their contribution.


It was sort of an interesting reflective moment - all of us took that band into our hearts our souls - in a place where they'll never be forgotten - and because of that, the idea that the music, the message, could just disappear had never actually occurred to us. Scary. Weird. Now I'm afraid of erasure too.


Okay, and as bonus - here's This Island. The song I've had on repeat all day.



STOP SMOKING THOSE CIGARETTES BABY NEXT TIME ITS YOUR TURN TO SAVE ME SPLASH SOME WATER ON YOUR LITTLE FACE YOU'RE A MESS YOU'RE A MESS YOU'RE A MESS

No comments:

Post a Comment