Friday, March 4, 2011

Also recommended:

Via a friend via Google Reader from the Awl:

Somehow there's absolutely no raping on the Decemberist's new album....



You know, the way I listen to music, I listen to melody and instrumentation first, and lyrics last. It was weird for me to realize that not everyone listens to music this way. Even some of my favorite songs, I have no idea what the words are or what they mean - so when I do clue in and start listening, I often find myself floored and shocked.

Hence, this article explains why I went from a very enthusiastic Decemberists fan to someone who hasn't listened to them in YEARS.


And, I have to admit, as I grow up and get older, I'm finding I am more and more sensitive to depictions of violence against women. I'm still trying to figure out if it's because of specific experiences I've had with dudes that allow me to relate to it more, if it's because I'm more checked out from pop culture, or if it's just a natural part of growing up - gaining perspective, seeing how *real* this shit is.

Regardless, it's ruining entire bands for me. And the Decemberists? I don't think deserved the pass I used to give them, nor did they deserve the dollars I dropped on their records (remember when we used to do that?!? aww cute.)

No comments:

Post a Comment