Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Bonus! Death Cab Video.



You may or may not have heard, Death Cab For Cutie did something novel and interesting yesterday - they shot this video in one take with a live audience watching via streaming video on their website (EDIT: Not on their website - via UStream). (Disappointed that they chose 4pm PST, so no, I didn't actually watch the live webcast.)

I'm not a huge fan of the song, I'll admit, but I think this is an interesting way of generating media attention and getting fans engaged - I certainly felt overwhelmed with the amount of coverage this got on Twitter and the local music outlets that I follow.

The UStream channel reports 24,433 total views - it doesn't compare anywhere near real TV viewership (As a data point of comparison -- The OC which played role in launching DC/FC - at it's worst averaged 4 million viewers per episode) but 24k viewers for a 4 minute video shoot doesn't seem that bad.

(I'm trying to think of other things to compare it to - is this a success? a flop? an interesting proof of concept? suggestions?)

No comments:

Post a Comment