Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Song of the Day, 2/8/11

Yes, I know I am bizarrely bad with simple concepts like "Post At" times. So technically, there has already been a song of the day today. That was posted yesterday. But I felt a bit bad about it. So I'm giving you another one.



This might turn into 'Songs I Wish I'd Written' for awhile. This is from Damien Jurado's album Rehearsals for Departure, which came out in 1999. I think I heard it for the first time while I was working a sub shift during Spring Break at KUGS in 2000 or 2001 - and I don't even think I liked it the first time I heard it.

But it stuck with me. It got under my skin. It's all about distance, from a particular place, from a particular moment in time, from a person, from people - all of which are easy to relate to for any kid who is starting their life out, but especially for one who leaves Seattle for the middle of the country. I had to let a lot of people, places, and moments all go.


And I don't think Ohio was a 'real' place to me before I got to Nebraska, when I shared an office with a girl from Ohio. And the place that her home state fits into her world view, her mythology, her story... well, the song reminds me of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment