Thursday, January 5, 2012

Song of the Day 1/5/2012

Hey! Look! Song of the day is back!

I try to pick stuff that is current and based in Seattle and I almost always fail to do this. This is off the new Guided By Voices record (so 0.5 out of 2 isn’t bad).

This is them on Letterman from earlier this week, they’re kind of a sloppy mess (if you study the video really closely you might notice that the bass-player makes a tiny error), but Robert Pollard’s voice is dead on.



I don’t feel entirely comfortable saying “I like Guided By Voices” because they have so many songs and I’ve only scratched the surface (their best of “Human Amusements At Hourly Rates” seems to be the best way to start on this surface scratching: http://open.spotify.com/album/53KpX4dhIypkmTZkfgQdS6 ). Their reputation suggests that even though they’re prolific not much of their content is must-have-indie-gold, but I’m envious of this ability to just crank out record after record. Especially because at the moment I have song-writer’s block, I can’t get my guitar to make a decent original noise – a cursory inspection of every good chord pattern I come up reveals that Pixies, Sugar et al. have already written, recorded and released the exact sequence of same notes 20 years ago.

Must be more like GBV.

No comments:

Post a Comment