Friday, September 24, 2010

So tonight at the Columbia City Theater....

.... probably one of the best places to catch music in all of Seattle: it was Screaming Trees night at the Columbia City theater.

And I sort of wish no one had connected those dots for me, because my night just kept slipping more and more into that most awkward of grunge moments - you know what I'm talking about. Where you're suddenly in the Bronze chillin' with Xander Harris and people are slow dancing, but you know it's still dark and edgy and vampire because someone threw a cello at it?

I'm sorry Rachel. Someday, I'll love one of your projects. And I swear, I love cellists. Just not when they're the token 'dark mantra moment' of the band.

The Young Evils, Columbia City Theater, 9/24
Photo: The Young Evils, courtesy of Nicole (by which I mean, absolutely stolen from.)

So before Cobirds Unite played, we caught the Young Evils (genius band name) play their CD release set - a band I can only describe as 'absolutely and perfectly lovely.' And they look great on stage together - I always get a little lost watching the four members in the front, since they play together so well, and play off each other so well (they've mastered understated but commanding stage presence.) ... but ... I think it's the drumming that makes this band. Honestly. So many folk pop bands fall apart, and their drummer - who is Mark $#%$ Pickerel - holds the whole thing together. And you barely notice he's doing it (of course, until you do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment